Floe is a seamless circular yoke sweater, worked from the bottom up.
Two yarns are held together, a 4ply / fingering weight and a fine mohair and silk blend. These together create a light and airy but warm fabric with a beautiful halo.
You can also work Floe in a single DK weight yarn to the same gauge.
The seamless construction means that Floe is comfortable and non constructing. There is no waist shaping as the slight drape in the yarn flows around the body but you can add some if you want to.
Floe has a round, slightly scooped neckline which is very flattering and is achieved using two sets of short rows when working the yoke. Instructions are given in the pattern for wrap and turn short rows and also Japanese short rows, you can use either of these or any other you prefer which give you good results.
When choosing a size to knit, remember to add some ease to your body measurements. Floe is shown here with 2.5 cm / 2″ of positive ease.
- Sizes: Finished bust measurement of 81 [86,91.5,96.5,101.5,106.5,112] cm / 32 [34,36,38,40,42,44] inches.
- Materials: Elann Soft Embrace 4ply pure wool & Elann Silken Kydd Mohair and Silk, held together. -5 [6,6,6,7,7,8] balls of Soft Embrace and 5 [5,5,6,6,7,7,] balls of Silken Kydd.
- OR: Elann Soft Embrace DK pure wool. -9 [10,11,11,12,12,13] balls.
- Tension/Gauge: 22 sts x 32 rows to 10cm/4 inches in stocking stitch after washing and blocking.
- Needles: 3.75mm / US 5 & 4 mm / US 6 circular needles OR size to get you the above tension/gauge as a main needle and needle one size smaller, in lengths between 40cm / 16 inch and 100 cm / 40 inch and a set of dpns or your preferred needles for working small diameters in the round for the sleeves.
- Notions: Yarn holders or spare yarn for holding stitches. Stitch markers for marking beginning of round and centre front and a set of removable markers if working Japanese short rows.
- Remember to check you tension carefully as any variation will change the size of the sweater and the amount of yarn needed.
- If you use another DK weight yarn you may need a slightly different amount.