or so I keep telling myself. Change is one of the certainties of life.
Someone once said “There have been some minor changes and a little tweaking of the project”
I’m pretty sure they weren’t talking about knitting but still… if the cap fits.
I started out with the intention of having this project more like a pinafore dress, but along the way I changed my mind….and changed it again. I like the pinafore idea but with this stitch pattern and yoke design I just thought it wanted to be so much more.
There are limitations to using three different alternating colours when working seamlessly in the round. Namely that there is just not a good enough join where you change colours. Each colour comes from three rounds down and although you twist the old and new colours together, the join just doesn’t have the integrity to it to hold the knitting together. Not enough to stand up to any stretching anyway, which is what you would get if this was a sweater. So after a lot of swatching I came to the conclusion that this had to be a cardigan or I needed to put buttons all the way down the yoke, at the back or the front, and then join in the round to knit the body. With this particular pattern I didn’t like the button idea, to me it just didn’t look right with the highly patterned yoke so I have gone for the cardigan.
Nemet – V2
I’ve written up the pattern and am just working one more sample as I want to get the button band just right. I am also knitting the next one in a different yarn just to see if that makes a difference. Picking up stitches through the yoke pattern and getting it just right to marry with the moss stitch button band has proved to be difficult, there are a lot more rows in the yoke than there are stitches in the button band and I want to be able to put exact button band instructions into the pattern, and have them right. The only way to do this, although I have estimates, is to actually try it out again and perhaps again.
The chest sizes I have written up so far are from a 20″ to 30″ chest in two-inch increments. The pattern should cover ages of approx. 6-9 months up to 9-10 years. I will be working on some adult sizes next week and giving that a go.
If you would like to have a go at test knitting this for me please do get in touch and as soon as I’ve made the pattern presentable I will contact you with the details.
The colour combinations for this are endless and for the next one I’ve chosen slightly less bright colours for the yoke with a cream body, but as I said there are endless possibilities and I have some darker more autumnal colours for the adult version as well as a lighter spring combination. I can see my fingers will be very busy over the next couple of weeks as I have also promised to finish a UFO for a very dear relative of mine.
Still, lucky I have plenty of these on hand to keep me going then. I changed this recipe from a gluten and dairy containing one and am so pleased with the result.
Orange and lemon cup cakes. Gluten, dairy, corn and soya free, but they do contain eggs and refined sugar.
As I want my cakes to be as light and airy as they can without any grittiness, I used a version of Cybele Pascal’s gluten-free flour mix for these. Rice flour, potato starch and tapioca starch. Cybele uses a super fine brown rice flour for her mix which we cannot get here in the UK, so I use super fine white rice flour or Chinese rice flour instead. You can easily get it in most Asian/Oriental food shops here, it comes in a white packet with red writing and a red elephant on the front. I pay approx. £1.05 for 450g so it’s not very expensive considering and the flour is ground as fine as cornflour.
There is no way anyone would be able to tell that these are gluten and dairy free, no way. They are just soft and light without the slightest amount of grit or dryness anywhere. Exactly the same as the gluten and dairy version. They do have a lot of eggs in them though so you just can’t sub them out; unfortunately these do need the eggs to make them what they are.
Orange and Lemon Cup Cakes
Pre-heat oven to 170 C (338 F)
200g of dairy, soy free margarine (I used pure sunflower)
200g of caster sugar
4 free range eggs, medium
200g superfine rice flour, potato and tapioca starch mix (see above)
2 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp of gf Baking powder
(if you want corn free mix your own as I do: 2 parts cream of tartar to 1 part baking soda)
Zest from 1 Orange
Lemon curd, or Lemon icing to decorate
Muffin tin lined with cases. (I used natural, bleach free ones)
Mix the margarine and sugar together until pale and fluffy, add eggs one at a time and beat thoroughly, the mixture will probably curdle but don’t worry. Whisk together the flour, baking powder and xanthan and fold into the margarine, sugar and egg mixture along with the zest.
Spoon into muffin cases until 2/3 full. I got 14 out of this mixture so baked in two batches. Bake in pre-heated oven for 15 to 20 mins or until a toothpick inserted into one comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack and then decorate as you will. I cut out cone shapes from the top and put in some lemon curd or jam and turned them into butterfly cakes but plan to put some lemon icing on the rest. You have fun with whatever icing etc. you wish.